Monday, September 26, 2005

MSDN Webcast notes - blogging from the Dev's perspective

I have just listened to today's WebCast on Blogging: MSDN WebCast: Blogging from the Developer's Perspective (Level 100). It was mostly the same as the last WebCast from TechNet, but there were many different questions from others; I also got to ask a lot of specific questions arising from experimenting with blogging last week.

Here are some random points of interest from this WebCast:

Google returns blog hits
Google's main search engine includes several of the larger blogs sites. Regular searches there will return hits from blog articles. I was under the impression that someone had to search a Blog Search engine; the trick is, then, to make your blog interesting enough such that enough people link to it. The more people that link to your blog, the higher you will appear in the search results list.

According to the WebCast, most people don't go past the first page of results when searching on engines such as Google or MSN search or Yahoo. That stands to reason, because I know I have the tendency to click on the first page's links first, even if they don't look 100% relevant to what I've searched for.

Blogging Academy
Check out this site from Josh Bancroft: http://www.bloggingacademy.com/. This is a tutorial site for blogging with Podcasts discussing many how-to's and tips, along with a lot of blogging resources.

Advertise your Blog
Pheedo.com is a site that will offer services to promote your blog and set up advertisement on your blog.

RSS is not just for blogs
Here is a quote from WebCast when I asked to give some examples of how RSS is being used: "Some other examples of RSS: Halo 2's stats are sharable via RSS. Our plasma screens at the PDC got all of its data via RSS feeds from various places. The next version of Sharepoint spits out RSS. SO does the next version of CRM".

It was also suggested that, since RSS is just XML, it could be developed internally for use in custom reporting applications.

Blog Spamming
To my understanding, the CommentAPI is a plug-in that will allow you to post a comment to someone's blog right from your syndication application (like RSS Bandit or NewsGator). Many spammers, however, are exploiting this - they will automatically post a comment on your new blog with a link to their web site, in an attempt to boost their statistics and thus drive more traffic to their site.

I had to turn on comment verification because I noticed this was happening to me. I was all excited about getting a comment not 2 minutes after I posted my article last week, only to be disappointed when I realized it was spam.

OMPL
According to theMSDN Bloggers site, OPML (Outline Processor Markup Language) is "a format based on XML that facilitates the exchange of outline-structured information between applications running on different operating systems and environments".

That doesn't really make sense to me - I think it's a way to download and import blog lists into aggregators.



Now that I'm looking for it, it seems that blogging is everywhere - where was I? Apparently, many search results I have been coming across are actually blog hits. It seems that you can customize your Blog site (even on free sites such as this one) to the extent that it practically looks like a small informational web site.

In any case, it looks like blogging is here to stay, so it's our job to see how we best fit into the blogging world, and to jump in before the train passes.

1 Comments:

At 10:08 PM, Blogger Josh Bancroft said...

Thanks for linking to Blogging Academy. I hope you find the site and its content useful!

Make sure to subscribe to the feed, so you don't miss anything - including the audio via podcast of our weekly gettogethers.

Also, feel free to drop by the wiki, and add a page for yourself, your site, and add any questions (or answers!) you might have.

Happy blogging! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home