Wednesday, September 21, 2005

MSFT Webcast on Blogs and RSS

I Just saw a fantastic WebCast today from Microsoft. This webcast explained:
  • What are Blogs?

  • Why you would use Blogs?

  • How do you set up your own Blog?

  • What is Aggregation (RSS)?

  • What free Aggregation tools are out there?

  • How do you subscribe to a Blog through an aggregation tool?

  • What are Blog Communities?

  • How to blog without getting fired ;-)

There's another webcast coming up which is about blogging from the Developer's perspective:

TechNet Webcast: Introduction to Blogging for the IT Professional (Level 100) (thanks to Dean Andrews for providing the direct link).

So to try this all, I have downloaded RSS Bandit, one of the free tools suggested in the webcast. I went to the "Dashboard" for this Blog and found out that Blogger.com automatically creates an RSS Document, such that bloggers can provide links for subscriptions. In Settings, under Site Feeds, Blogger.com has created the link http://newbiedotnetdev.blogspot.com/atom.xml to this blog.

In the Template manager, which is used to configure the look and feel of the blog's home page, I added a link to this xml document on the right-hand side of my home page in the Links menu. I wanted to display that cool-looking orange RSS button, and I found I could actually do that just using a font style. Here it is if you want to use it:

<font style="BORDER-RIGHT: black thin solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: white thin solid; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; BORDER-LEFT: white thin solid; COLOR: white; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: black thin solid; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: coral">


Next, I opened up RSS Bandit and added the xml document's URL as a subscription. I refreshed the feed by clicking Update Feed, and lo and behold, this very posting showed up! It turns out that every time I edit this posting, RSS Bandit also updates the posting as well (during its update schedule).

As I began editing this post, I noticed someone posted a comment already! I hadn't believed it when in the webcast, they mentioned that if you add links to other sites (such as I just did to the Microsoft Webcast), it increases your chances of getting "seen" on Google or some other search engine. I would be very interested to find out how people are finding this post...

On a final note, I will be posting again later, talking about some of the interesting points covered in the webcast.

6 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Anonymous Dean Andrews said...

Here's the direct link to the Intro to Blogging webcast if you want to check it out: TechNet Webcast: Introduction to Blogging for the IT Professional (Level 100)
http://msevents.microsoft.com/CUI/WebCastEventDetails.aspx?EventID=1032279655&EventCategory=4&culture=en-US&CountryCode=US

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger vitalfinds said...

Great looking Blog and great content. I had thought that Blogger did something with RSS Feeds but I hadn't really gotten all of the details yet. I'm off to read you instructions again to see about getting an RSS feed going on my blog.

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger George said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger George said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Susan H said...

George from TechNet wrote, but his comment is displaying incorrectly. Copied here:
================
If you liked the TechNet one, be sure to register for Robert's talk to developers as well on MSDN Webcasts next week , 9/26 at 11:00 AM PST.

http://blogs.msdn.com/msdnwebcasts/ archive/2005/09/20/471887.aspx

George, MSDN Webcasts

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Webcast Norway said...

With webcasting, one have the flexibility of combining various presentation methodologies and multimedia. An individual even have the option of recording great videos for use indefinitely.For queries contact webcast

 

Post a Comment

<< Home